Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The W word...

I've never really done this before but I have read things that my friends have posted and see that this is a great way to share with each other and the world the wonder and glory of a magnificent and powerful God who deserves all honor and praise...

Wait. It is a word that most of us don't like. We live in a world that tells us we can have food in less than five minutes. We can get a text message from our friends instantly. We can even (if our computers will let us) join a live broadcast for a conference several hours away and it will be just like we are there. Is it any wonder that we don't like to wait.

I think that God likes the word wait. I think He smiles when He says it to us. I say this because for several weeks now as I talk to my friends each of us have our own version on the "wait" story. There are those of us who are single and are ready for God to show us who He has chosen for us. There are those of us who don't understand why God has called us to a specific assignment in our lives when clearly we thought we were trained for something else. There are those of us who want to be parents and that just doesn't seems to be happening in the time frame we thought it would. The message from the Father to all of us...wait.

A friend asked me a very valid question the other day. She said "I have strived to follow Christ and be who He wants me to be. Why hasn't God given me the desire of my heart? To which I replied "that is a great question." For those of you who know me you know that I like to try to answer questions. So I started to look at scripture and discovered some things and was reminded of some things.

The discovery: This has been an age old question of all followers of Christ. I am sure that Elizabeth and Zechariah asked that when it seemed that they would never have a child. (Check out Luke 1) I am sure that Paul wondered sometimes when God lead him in a different direction from the one he thought he should go.

The reminder: Waiting is all for God's glory. Elizabeth and Zechariah became the proud parents of John, who would prepare the way for a Savior. Paul's path would lead him to bring the message of Christ to a whole new people.

Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." It's easy to read this verse and think "as long as I do what He asks He'll give me what I want. To think that misses the essence of what the verse means. When we delight ourselves in God, we want what He wants. What He wants is to bring glory to Himself.

So my friends, when you find yourself waiting and wondering, know that God is at work. Be steadfast and abide in Him. You are being used to bring glory to a magnificent and wonderful God.

No comments: